How to clean under your acrylic nails? Are you an Acrylic Nail lover who knows the importance of keeping their nails clean? Or are you new to the game and looking to keep your nails looking as fresh as the day you got them done? Whatever your situation, it’s vital to know how to clean under your Acrylic Nails. Let’s face it, nothing ruins the look and feel of your Mani more than a build-up of dirt underneath your gorgeous Acrylics. If you want to maintain that dazzling look and feel you paid good money for at the salon, then keep reading for some great tips on how to clean under your Acrylic Nails like a pro!
How dirty is it under acrylic nails?
If you’re someone who loves to wear acrylic nails, then it’s essential to know just how dirty it can get underneath them. Did you know that acrylic nails can harbor more bacteria than natural nails? That’s right! And if you’re a health care worker (HCW), then wearing acrylic nails is not recommended due to the risk of infection transmission.
Research has shown that bacteria such as Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus can be found under acrylic nails, which can cause skin infections and even serious health complications. Additionally, little is known about the cleanliness and safety of new and popular gel nail products, so it’s best to be cautious and keep your nails as clean as possible.
How To Clean Under Acrylic Nails?
Use a soft-bristled brush
One of the best ways to clean under acrylic nails is to use a soft-bristled brush. This method is effective in removing dirt and debris from under the nails without causing any damage to the nails or skin. You can use a toothbrush, nail brush, or any other soft-bristled brush to get the job done.
- First, gather all the materials you will need: a soft-bristled brush, warm water, and soap.
- Wet your hands with warm water and lather them up with soap.
- Gently insert the bristles of the brush under the acrylic nails, making sure not to push too hard or cause any damage.
- Move the brush back and forth, gently scrubbing the area under the nails. You may need to repeat this step a few times to get rid of all the dirt and debris.
- Rinse your hands with warm water to remove all the soap and dirt.
- Finally, pat your hands dry with a clean towel.
- You can also use a cuticle pusher to lift the nails slightly and get a better angle for cleaning underneath.
Soak in warm water
Soaking your Acrylic Nails in warm water is another effective way to clean the dirt underneath them. This method is gentle and perfect for those who don’t want to use a brush. It’s like giving your nails a warm and relaxing bath! You’ll be amazed at how effective this method is at removing any dirt, debris or bacteria under your nails. Plus, it’s incredibly easy and doesn’t require any special tools. All you need is a bowl of warm water and a few minutes of your time. So, let’s dive into the steps!
- Fill a bowl with warm water, ensuring that it’s not too hot to avoid any burns or discomfort.
- Add a gentle soap or shampoo to the water to help loosen any dirt or debris.
- Place your hands in the bowl and soak for at least 10-15 minutes, or until the acrylic nails have softened.
- Use a soft-bristled brush to gently scrub underneath the nails, taking care not to scratch or damage the acrylics.
- Rinse your hands thoroughly with clean water and dry with a soft towel.
- Apply cuticle oil or hand cream to keep your nails and skin hydrated.
It’s important to note that while soaking in warm water is an effective way to clean under acrylic nails, it’s recommended to do this only once a week to avoid damaging the nails or causing lifting of the acrylics.
Use a cuticle pusher
You need a cuticle pusher, if you want to keep those acrylics looking new. It’s the most convenient way to clean beneath those bad boys. Your nails will appreciate it. It’s like giving your nails a relaxing spa treatment, but with a purpose! This method is ideal for those who want to clean under their nails in a gentle and non-abrasive manner.
- First, make sure your hands are clean and dry.
- Take a cuticle pusher and gently push it along the surface of the nail, starting from the base and moving towards the tip.
- Use the pointed end of the cuticle pusher to carefully remove any dirt or debris from under the nail.
- Be gentle and avoid pushing the cuticle pusher too far under the nail or against the skin as this can cause pain and damage.
- After cleaning under each nail, wipe the dirt and grime on a paper towel to avoid transferring it to another nail.
Read more: Why Does My Toe Nail Smell Like Cheese?
Use a dental floss pick
Don’t neglect cleaning under acrylics with a dental floss pick! Though strange, it works! This lit pick is perfect for cleaning under your nails in hard-to-reach places. It’s cheap, easy, and requires no special tools. Follow these simple steps to get slay-ready nails!
- Choose a dental floss pick that has a small, pointed end.
- Gently slide the pointed end of the floss pick under the edge of your acrylic nail.
- Use a gentle sawing motion to move the floss pick back and forth to loosen any dirt or debris.
- Be careful not to push the floss pick too far under the nail or to apply too much pressure, as this could cause damage to your natural nail.
- Once you have removed the dirt or debris, wipe the floss pick clean with a tissue or paper towel.
- Repeat the process for each nail, using a clean floss pick for each one to avoid transferring bacteria or dirt.
Try an ultrasonic cleaner
Get an ultrasonic cleaner now, girl! It’s the perfect nail cleaner! Sound waves create tiny, high-pressure bubbles that penetrate nails and kill dirt, bacteria, and debris. It’s a tub nail spa party! Try this new method to see how much grime you’ve slept on! This is easy! Effortless, honey. Slaying it:
- First, fill your ultrasonic cleaner with warm water and a cleaning solution. You can use a gentle dish soap or a specialized cleaner designed for ultrasonic cleaners.
- Turn on the ultrasonic cleaner and let it run for a few minutes to warm up the water and create the sound waves.
- Once the cleaner is ready, place your hands in the water, making sure that the nails are fully submerged.
- Let the ultrasonic cleaner do its job for 5-10 minutes. You’ll see tiny bubbles forming around your nails, which means that the dirt is being removed.
- After the time is up, remove your hands from the water and dry them off with a towel.
- Inspect your nails and use a cuticle pusher or dental floss pick to remove any remaining dirt or debris.
- Voila! Your nails should be sparkling clean and ready for a fresh coat of polish.
Explore more: Why Does My Nail Polish Peel Off?
Tips for Maintaining Cleanliness
- Keep your hands and nails clean: The first step to maintaining cleanliness under your acrylic nails is to keep your hands and nails clean. Wash your hands regularly and use a nail brush to scrub under your nails when you shower or wash your hands.
- Avoid exposing your nails to excessive water: While it’s important to keep your nails clean, you should also avoid exposing them to excessive water, as this can lead to bacterial growth and fungal infections.
- Use gloves when cleaning: When cleaning or doing chores that involve water or chemicals, use gloves to protect your nails and prevent them from getting dirty.
- Be gentle when removing dirt: When removing dirt from under your acrylic nails, be gentle to avoid damaging your natural nails or the acrylics themselves.
- Visit a nail technician regularly: Finally, it’s important to visit a nail technician regularly to get your acrylic nails maintained and cleaned professionally. A nail technician can remove any dirt or debris under your nails that you might have missed and ensure that your nails are healthy and clean.
How do you get rid of yellow stains under your nails?
One effective way to get rid of yellow stains under your nails is to create a paste of baking soda and water, then apply it to the affected area and gently scrub with a nail brush. You can also try soaking your nails in lemon juice for a few minutes before washing them. Additionally, maintaining good nail hygiene and avoiding smoking and dark nail polishes can help prevent yellow stains in the first place.
Why do I always have dirt under my nails?
There are a number of reasons why this could be happening, from poor hygiene habits to certain types of work or activities. But the good news is, there are plenty of easy solutions to keep your nails clean and dirt-free.
In conclusion, keeping your acrylic nails clean is an essential part of maintaining a healthy and beautiful look. There are several ways to clean underneath your acrylics, including using a soft-bristled brush, soaking your nails in warm water, using a cuticle pusher, and even trying an ultrasonic cleaner. By regularly cleaning under your acrylics and practicing good hygiene habits, you can prevent the build-up of bacteria and dirt that can lead to infection or damage to your natural nails. If you want to learn more about how to keep your nails looking their best, head over to Mas Nail Art blog for more helpful tips and tricks.