As an African American woman, it can be difficult to find the right nail polish color. The vast majority of nail colors are catered towards lighter skin tones. Whether you’re looking for a new shade or just need some inspiration, here are 5 nail colors that will work for your skin tone.
How skin tone alters the nail polish color
Although there are plenty of shades that work for all skin tones, the majority of nail polish colors are geared towards lighter skin.
This is because most companies have a hard time predicting what will look good on darker skin. The best way to find the right color is to experiment with different shades until you find something that works well with your current manicure or pedicure.
But don’t worry! There are some nail polish colors that work for African American women, too.
Some tips to chose the best nail color on brown skin
One of the most important things about your nails is making sure that they are well maintained. The way you care for your nails will have an impact on how healthy they are and how long they last. Keep in mind these tips for caring for your nails to maintain them.
- Avoid breaking or tearing the nail by avoiding contact with rough surfaces, including sandpaper, marble, or metal.
- Be mindful to use hand lotion regularly. Doing so will improve the elasticity of the nail bed and make them stronger.
- Keep your nails trimmed at all times to avoid any splits or tears that can be caused by excess length. If you’re unable to cut them yourself, find a salon that offers nail services.
- Always keep your hands clean and wear gloves when cleaning dishes or other chores that require hand washing.
- Use acetone-free polish remover instead of regular polish remover for removing nail polish because it doesn’t dry out nails as quickly as traditional removers do.
Best nail colors for African American skin
5 Nail color ideas for brown skin
1. Essie “Go Overboard”
This light pink nail polish is a great neutral color for those with lighter skin tones. It’s also the perfect color to use as a base for other bright colors.
2. OPI “Lincoln Park After Dark”
This wine-coloured nail polish is a really unique and bold color choice that will go nicely with any skin tone.
3. Essie “Penny Talk”
This mint-green shade will look fantastic on those with darker skin tones! Pair it with a dark lip for an extra pop of color!
4. Deborah Lippmann “Lady Luxury”
If you’re looking for something more neutral but still want something different from your typical pinks, this light beige is perfect! It looks especially nice for those who have darker skin tones or are tanner during the summer months.
The most important thing to consider when choosing the best nail colors on brown skin tone and making sure that they are well maintained. The way you care for your nails will have an impact on how healthy they are and how long they last. Keep in mind these tips for caring for your nails to maintain them.
Avoid contact with rough surfaces to prevent nails from being broken. Use hand lotion to improve the elasticity of the nail bed and make them stronger. Trim nails regularly to avoid any splits or tears. Make sure hands are always clean and wear gloves when washing dishes. Remove nail polish with acetone-free remover instead of traditional removers because it doesn’t dry out nails as quickly.